LAURA'S WEBSITE

Friday, July 2, 2010

Thought I would change it up a bit.

No.. I'm not done with my "big" quilt yet.  But, a few weeks ago I went up north.  I usually take my sewing machine but, my quilt is way to big to take up there and try to free motion on a dining room table.  So I decided to take a project that I needed to get started since it is due in Sept.  Milwaukee art quilters have 2 challenges a year.  This one you needed to put a found or household object in a bag and we would swap out the bags.  I received a Lotus Pod.. I was sooo happy.  The quilt needs to be mixed media.. so right away I thought stamp with paint onto fabric using the pod.  So I did this.. I made a design and I used Wendy Butler Berns technique to make the top.. No quarter inch seams for this girl.  Glue stick and freezer paper.  You can see her technique in her book  Photo Album Quilts
http://www.wendybutlerberns.com
It is the same technique I used on my quilt of my daughter, Jessi. I used some of my snow dyed fabrics and some of the overdyes snow dyed fabric and Wendy Richardson's overdyes.  I finished the top up north with time to spare.  I had my husband cut a few lotus pods to 1/4 " thick.. I am going to place them on the top like I did in the photo.  I sprayed them with a acid free fixative so they would not damage the fabric in time.
My next step is to use mono poly and zig zag my pieces together.. then of course the rest is sandwich and quilt.. I really love the colors I choose for this quilt.  And the stamping on the fabric ... love it..

My journey into quilting is feeling like it is really beginning for me now.  I am loving what I am doing and feel more confident everytime I make a new quilt.  I am so grateful for my online family of friends who help me and also my in person friends.  I have recently joined PAQA and am anxious to learn more from those gals.  Thanks to all for your support...

3 comments:

Laura Wasilowski said...

Love the color and fabric choices!

Ruth Anne Olson said...

I like this color combination. I just went to your website and was blown away by your Trilium. Gorgeous.

Roberta Ranney said...

Great use of the lotus pod! And the colors are so appealing. I always enjoy your posts on QA and now I'm happy that I've finally visited your blog - now to go look at your website.