LAURA'S WEBSITE

Friday, January 14, 2011

The Unknown Spirit

I am very pleased that one of my quilts was chosen to travel with the new Alzheimer's Exhibit.  the exhibit is called Alzheimer’s Illustrated: From Heartbreak to Hope.” 
My piece is called The Unknown Spirit.  I made it during the stay at home challenge during the Houston show a couple years ago.  Those of us who couldn't go to Houston made a quilt for AAQI.  This is what I wrote about my quilt and why I created it. 


I was sitting in the waiting area of a mental health facility reading my quilting magazine.  As I was sitting there a man and his mother came in. She was there 
( I found out later) for her check up. She has Alzheimers.  She had asked her son very timidly," how old am I ? " He replied," 80 years old."She continued in disbelief on how the time has gone by so quickly. After she took a very short walk down memory lane she asked again," how old am I?"...
her son replied," 80."The women was so sweet and it just seemed so sad to me. I'm naming my quilt
THE UNKNOWN SPIRIT... for these unknown people who are dealing with this disease we call Alzheimers.

1 comment:

Judy Warner said...

Beautiful quilt and story. Congrats on being included in the exhibit.